A hike along the 660 kilometre length of the Australian Alps Walking Track from Walhalla in Victoria to Tharwa in New South Wales.

Australian Alps Walking Track - Day 021 - Thredbo

 

Day:021
Date:

Monday, 4 April 2011

Start:

Hotel in Thredbo

Finish:

Hotel in Thredbo

Camp LocationHere
Daily Kilometres:

0

Total Kilometres:

447.1 AAWT

Animal Encounters

None

People Encounters

Plenty

Weather:

Very cold with heavy frost early, sunny and mild later

Pictures:None
Journal:

I had a quiet day in Thredbo, eating, washing, strolling around town, reading the paper and updating my diary. The highlights were probably the purchase of $5 gloves and a $5 beanie at some ski store clearance sales to help keep me warm in the next few days at altitude.

Planning to make a 7am start tomorrow to get the daunting 400m climb from Thredbo to the top of the chairlift (where I rejoin the official AAWT route after the detour via Thredbo) with a fully-loaded (five days food) pack out of the way early. For the next couple of days I will be around 2000m much of the time in area known for bad weather. I will also be walking cross-country for much of the route, so the weather needs to be acceptable. Fortunately, the forecast is reasonable, and I'm looking forward to some great hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment